Friday, March 8, 2013

Bacon and Pepperoncini Stuffed Sweet Peppers

Around Superbowl time a friend and I were commiserating about the fact that our disinterest in sports excludes us from all the great sports fare.  So, our Non-Superbowl, Superbowl party was born.  It basically meant all the game food, none of the game.  Score for us!  (Yes, that's right, I'm not a sports fan, but I'm still a real nice gal, honest!)

Don't you love this colorful bouquet of peppers.  I like to consider this my attempt at being responsible, by bringing veggies that haven't been dunked in hot oil.  Instead they've been stuffed with cheese!  I'll admit that I took a small leap of faith making these, I'd never had anything like this, so I had no idea what to expect.  Let me just tell you, these little babies are TASTY!  Sweet crunchy peppers, stuffed with a creamy filling that has a great tangy/smoky combo.  They would make the perfect appetizer for a party, luncheon or baby/bridal shower.  You've got to give these a try.

Bacon and Pepperoncini Stuffed Sweet Peppers
From The Shrinking Kitchen

Ingredients


2 teaspoons olive oil
2 slices turkey bacon, chopped (I used reduced fat center cut bacon)
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 green onions, diced
10 pepperoncini peppers, stems removed and roughly chopped
4 ounces light cream cheese
20 mini sweet bell peppers
 
Directions
 
Wash and cut the stems off the mini bell peppers and set aside.  In a non stick skillet, heat the olive oil.  Add the bacon and saute for a few minutes until it starts to crisp.  Throw the green onions and chopped red bell pepper in with the bacon and continue to saute until the peppers are softened.  Scrape the bacon/onion/bell pepper into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times.  Add the cream cheese and pepperoncinis to the food processor and pulse till combined. If the mixture is too thick, add a little juice from the pepperoncini jar.  Spoon the cream cheese mixture into a zip top bag.  Snip off a tiny piece of one corner of the bag.  Fill the cavity of each mini pepper with the cream cheese mixture.  Chill the filled peppers until ready to serve, or at least an hour.  (I thought they were even better the next day.)





18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love these - so bright and colourful - and so easy to make and easy to eat!
Thanks for sharing the recipe...
Emma.

Angie's Recipes said...

I totally love these stuffed peppers. Soges delightful!

Chris said...

Do you parboil the bell peppers or something so they are tender/

Kim said...

Ha ha! I'm not a sports fan and neither is my husband. We have the hardest time trying to explain this to people. They just don't get it.

I made a stuffed pepper dish like this before and I loved it. This one looks delicious too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These sound delicious and they'd be perfect to serve anytime you have a crowd to feed. I am a fan of stuffed peppers so these would fit well with the type of food I like to share with friends. I hope you are having a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Joanne said...

That's pretty much exactly the kind of party I need to have next year! What a cute idea!

Anonymous said...

OMG, those look so cute!! I never thought to stuff the tiny peppers like that.

Hope you had a great weekend Teresa!

Leslie said...

What a perfect little appetizer!!!

Pam said...

So fun, colorful, and tasty! YUM!

Reeni said...

I lament over the same thing! These are gorgeous!

chow and chatter said...

oh these look so so good

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Oh my goodness, these look and sound incredible. Perfect appetizer...well for me, I could make a meal of them!

Jocelyn said...

Those peppers are something my husband would die for!!! Perfect appetizer for parties!!!

Velva said...

I could eat all of these up....I am not sure at my house I could get away from the sports. My family is all boys.

Velva

Val said...

Hello deliciousness! Look at the vibrant color.

Taste and Tell said...

I am totally going to make these. I see those peppers in the store all of the time, but I never know what to do with them!!

Barbara said...

Not only do these sound like great sport-watching snacks, they're lo cal as well. No reason not to serve tasty snacks when we can. Keeping our families healthy.
Great recipe, Teresa!

Blond Duck said...

I'd eat those for dinner!