Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Coconut Bread

Hey guys! I've been slow to post, but I have been making quite a few great things that I think you'll love, so give me a day or two and I will be posting a lot more.

I made this recipe just today for an enrichment activity centering around all things bread. We were instructed to bring one bread dish with accompanied recipe to share. After lots of careful consideration, I went with the easiest option, to make something requiring ingredients that I already had! So I made coconut bread, and it was yummy. Of course, in my opinion, anything with coconut is divine. I understand that there may be an even delicious-er coconut glaze that could be drizzled atop the bread, so if I get my hands on that, I'll be sure to offer an update *wink*!

Coconut Bread

2 cups sugar
¾ cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 tsp coconut extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, eggs and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, stirring just until moistened. Fold in coconut and walnuts.

Pour into two greased 8-in by 14-in by 2-inch loaf pans. Bake at 325 for 60-65 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

*If you don't have buttermilk on hand (who does), you can easily make your own. Just combine one tablespoon lemon juice with one cup of milk and let sit for ten minutes to thicken. EASY!

3 comments:

sara cardon said...

Oh man! All of your recipes look so good!! I go crazy copying and pasting all of them. You should offer samples for taste-testing.:) We'll have to start swapping cooking mags, I get Taste of Home and EveryDay with Rachael Ray, and I would like to take a look at the COoking Light one. Yum!

Angela said...

Mmmm, your bread was awesome! (and I'll send you the recipe for the glaze...:)

nathalia said...

It was my fav of the night! And that's saying something since everything was delicious!