I originally started this blog as a place to store tried and true recipes for my family. It didn't take long to discover how supportive and fun the blog community was and I became hooked! I rarely create my own recipes, but I still hope you'll enjoy the recipes that I find and tweak a bit.
I love a good stir-fry. They're typically really simple to make, and are nice and healthy with the fresh veggies and steamed rice. This was a really good stir-fry that my whole family loved, my favorite part was the fresh green beans. I will admit, I don't think that this will ever replace the mouth watering Orange Chicken that they serve in the food courts. You know, the kind that is breaded, deep fried, and then drenched in gooey, sweet orange sauce (Homer Simpson drool). But, if you are looking for a substitute that isn't 1,000 calories, I think you will really like this version!
Orange Chicken Adapted from Favorite Family Dinners
8 oz fresh green beans, halved crosswise 2 tsp sesame seeds (I didn't use these) 1/2 cup orange juice 2 TB reduced sodium soy sauce 1 TB toasted sesame oil 1 tsp cornstarch 1/2 tsp finely shredded orange peel nonstick cooking spray 1/2 cup bias sliced green onions 1 TB grated fresh ginger 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 tsp cooking oil 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced 2 cups hot cooked rice 2 oranges peeled and sectioned, or thinly sliced, crosswise
1. In a covered medium saucepan, cook green beans in a small amount of boiling water for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet cook sesame seeds over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Set aside.
3. For sauce, in a small bowl combine orange juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch, and orange peel; set aside.
4. Coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over medium-high heat. Add green onions, ginger, and garlic to hot skillet; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the precooked green beans; stir-fry for two minutes. Remove vegetables from skillet.
5. Carefully add oil to the hot skillet. Add chicken; stir-fry until cooked completely through. Remove from skillet.
6. Stir sauce, add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Return meat and vegetables to skillet. Heat through, stirring to coat all ingredients with sauce. Serve over hot cooked rice. Top with orange sections and with sesame seeds.