Friday, April 10, 2009

Bravo Broccoli




I love broccoli, but it does tend to get a little boring when prepared the same way. I was really excited to find this recipe because it was a quick way to give broccoli an entirely different flavor without needing much time, or tricky ingredients. I really liked this variation for broccoli, and the even better part was that my son, who might surely die if anything naturally grown enters his body, liked it too! It's a mix of flavors that ends up having a sweet and sour taste, it's delicious. It calls for red pepper flakes as well, but I left them out for the sake of the kids. If you're a broccoli fan, give this one a try!

Bravo Broccoli

Ingredients

1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
1 tablespoon butter (I cut that amount in half and used a light spread)
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoon brown sugar (I use Splenda)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

1. Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover or steam for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a large bowl.

2. Combine the remaining ingredients; drizzle over broccoli and toss to coat.

Serves 4: 1 serving is 3/4 cups

Points per Serving: 1

11 comments:

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This sounds delicious. I love the vibrant flavors! Happy Easter!

teresa said...

Thank you Katherine, Happy Easter to you too!

Donna-FFW said...

What a fantastic and easy way to cook broccoli, Ill have to try it!

Coleens Recipes said...

I agree with you about broccoli being a little boring. Thanks for this post, it sounds excellent. I'm anxious to try it.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE broccoli. It's one of my favorite foods in the world, which is so weird because I used to want to puke at the smell and sight of it. This is a great simple recipe. thanks!

Unknown said...

That does sound like a yummy mix for the broccoli!

Heidi said...

I love broccoli. I have some rice vinegar I picked up by accident and didn't know what to do with it. I'm going to have to try this one.

Gina said...

I wish I had this recipe last Saturday. I made broccoli and it was kind of boring. I will save this one for next time. Thanks.

Debbie said...

I'm with you.... I love veggies, but new ways to fix them without adding tons of calories are hard to find.
this sounds really good.

Netts Nook said...

I love Broccoli and the brown sugar sounds great can't wait to try. Happy Easter back to you.

Elyse said...

Ooo, brown sugar? Garlic powder? Sounds like an awesome, unique combination to me. I love mixing up how I eat my broccoli. Can't wait to try your recipe!! Your blog is absolutely great!