Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cheese and Pesto Puff Pastries



I know these might not be much to look at, but trust me when i say that this might be the most delicious appetizer you ever make, if not the richest! These puff pastries are stuffed with a sharp provolone cheese sauce, a tangy pesto, crunchy bacon bits, and bright tomato to even it all out. The first time I made these, I didn't add tomato because I didn't think I could make it fit with all the other ingredients, well, I would try hard to make it fit because they are the perfect ingredient to round out the richness of the other ingredients. This is such a delicious party food, and they'll disappear in no time!

I am going to post the original recipe, but here are my notes. I really only need half of the cheese sauce that you are instructed to make, I will definitely half it next time. Also, I wouldn't bother letting this sit in your fridge before cooking. In fact, I think it made them a bit soggy and greasy. The second time I made them, they came out so puffy and crispy, much better. Enjoy!

Cheese and Pesto Puff Pastries
By Favorite Brand Name Appetizers

Ingredients

1 package puff pastry dough, thawed
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup flour
2 1/4 cups heavy cream
8 ounces sharp provolone cheese, shredded
4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper
fresh plum tomatoes, diced
basil pesto (the refrigerated stuff in the grocery store is the best)
Cooked bacon (4-5 slices) crumbled

Directions

1. Roll puff pastry dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough into 3-inch circles. Mix egg and water in small bowl. Brush surface of each circle lightly with egg mixture. Set aside.

2. Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Whisk flour, then cream. Continue stirring until mixture thickens and becomes smooth. Remove from heat. Add Provolone, Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Place 2 teaspoons of mixture onto each pastry circle and top each with several pieces of tomato. Add 1/4 teaspoon pesto and a few pieces crumbled bacon to each circle. Cover pastry with another circle of dough and using your fingers, press the edges together to seal. Place pastries on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours, or overnight (nah).

3. Preheat oven to 375F. Bake pastries about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.


Does this look familiar to anyone? If you are a visitor of Biz's blog, Biggest Diabetic Loser, you know that she's always got such fantastic pictures and food. I always look forward to seeing what she's up to. Well, a few weeks ago, she posted this gorgeous picture after going on a walk during a foggy day. I had commented that I wanted to blow that picture up and hang it on my wall. A day or two later, she sent me the file and I was able to do just that. Isn't it gorgeous! I love my bloggy friends. Thanks Biz, we love it!

31 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

May I have a puff pastry, please? Extra cheese!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I am toying with a puff pastry recipe right now... these look terrific, hope mine work half as well

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out Teresa!! Glad you like it! :D

And I love anything with puff pastry!

jenn said...

That's so nice! My sister does take awesome pictures, and the funny thing is its just a regular camera too!

Jenn@slim-shoppin.com

Heidi said...

I think this is a great looking appetizer!!! That picture you had blown up is amazing!

Jenn said...

Love that photo!

Good use of puff pastry. I love the different way people use them in recipes.

Sasha said...

Cheese, pesto, bacon and tomato, all in a crispy puff pastry? Sounds delicious! : )

Kim said...

I can see why you love that picture, it looks great in the black frame! Great thinking to frame it, very creative.

Sounds like a great combo of cheese, bacon, pesto, and tomato. I would be standing close by eating way too many :D

Shelby said...

How kind of Biz to send you that photo!

Your puff pastries sound yummy!

♥peachkins♥ said...

these looks like it would be a great appetizer...

Reeni said...

The picture is gorgeous! And the puff pastries sound incredible! What delicious ingredients!

Anonymous said...

Nice! This is rich, cheesy, flaky, buttery...all the richest and most indulgent factors in an appetizer!

Mom on the Run said...

That is a great picture! I love Biz's blog as well.

That app looks amazing. It might need to be made next week for Christmas.

theUngourmet said...

Oh this sounds so rich and delicious! Cheese, bacon, pesto, oh my!

How sweet of Biz to send you that photo. It's beautiful!

Alissa said...

Well I loved the first batch so I'm sure I'd love the second puffier batch! Looks great!!! I can't wait to try them with the tomato, that sounds sooo yummy!

Debbie said...

This is an appetizer that I would love to try! Thanks for sharing this!

Cathy said...

Isn't prepared puff pastry the best ingredient ever! There are so many wonderful things that can be done with it. Like this recipe for instance. Can't wait to try it.

figtree said...

I habe puff pasty in my freezer right now..I am so excited to make this. Thanks for the great idea.

Heather S-G said...

Oh, these do sound delicious! I love anything with puff pastry, though...yum!

Jennifer said...

That looks delish, in fact we are doing appetizers on Xmas eve and I am making this! BTW I made the beef and noodle thing 1 post down the other night, YUMMY!

Carrie said...

Wow, these look delicious! I LOVE cheese!!

Pam said...

What a tasty sandwich - mmm good. Love the photo!

Katy ~ said...

These look sophisticated, perfect for the most discerning diner, I think. Well done!!

Joanne said...

Wow. This really is the perfect appetizer. You can't get any better than puff pastry, pesto, cheese, and BACON. Amazing.

Barbara said...

OMG! These look divine! Don't you love working with puff pastry? So many ways to make something delicious and have it look so elegant!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I absolutely love the sense of comradery we all have with each other. I'm sorry I didn't respond right away to your comment. I'm going to check out that site and look for you. I DO love reading.

Btw, love the pastries though hold the tomatoe for me. :)
~ingrid

sanjeet said...

.. these look terrific, hope mine work half as well

Work from home India

Velva said...

This is so awesome! What a wonderful and creative idea to host a gingerbread making party-I love it!!!

The food including the eggnog are just wonderful.

Happy holidays to you!

kanishk said...

these look terrific, hope mine work half as well

Work from home India

Carrie said...

Yum! Looks delicious!

Leslie said...

mmmmm.those do look oh so very addicting.