Thursday, January 14, 2010

Craving Ellie in My Belly: Her Pizza Adapted



Joining the group Craving Ellie in my Belly was my way of killing two birds with one stone. Now I am signed on with two cooking clubs, and they both include eating healthy. Sweet! I'm really excited about cooking Ellie Kreiger recipes. She's always been a favorite of mine on Food Network and I've been happy with a lot of her recipes.

The reason I'm adapting this recipe is because, as of yet, the only food in this world that I just can't get myself to like, is goat cheese. Granted, I've never had it baked in a pizza, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on it with the risk that I wasn't going to like it. So, I used feta instead, it's a cheese made out of sheep's milk, so kind of similar right? And since I was already adapting, I figured I'd use spinach which I already had in the fridge instead of arugula. The result? Fantastic! I plan to have it for lunch again very soon. It's quick, easy and PACKED with flavor, which is good. I read somewhere that if you eat foods that are very flavorful, you'll feel satisfied quicker and eat less. Give this pizza a try, you'll love it!

Feta, Caramelized Onion and Spinach Pizza
Adapted from Ellie Krieger
For One

Ingredients

1 tortilla, (I love the Carb Balance, they are one point each!)
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 spinach
2 tablespoons feta
salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Put the oil and onions in a medium skillet and cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium and add the spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

Place the tortillas on a baking sheet and top each with some of the spinach/onion mixture. Crumble some feta on top of each, and bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes and cut each pizza into 4 triangles.

20 comments:

Kim said...

I'm glad you joined up with CEIMB. I'm looking forward to all your posts. I have her SO easy book and have loved all the recipe I tried. The pizza looks delicious. I love all of the flavors in it!

Jenn said...

I love spinach in pizza. Mmmm...looks super tasty.

Barbara said...

Sounds nice and light. I don't watch much Ellie on TV, but do love goat cheese, so will replace your feta!

♥peachkins♥ said...

The pizza looks fab!

TeaLady said...

These were really good. The only change I made was to us mozzarela (sp)instead of the goat cheese.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

been seeing these alot today. This is one beautiful pizza you made

Trish said...

This so totally looks like something we would eat here in my little home! Yummers!

Maria Salomon said...

Great looking pizza......and blue dish, I love it!
Welcome to the group!

Kathleen said...

This pizza sounds great with either cheese. I've never cooked an Ellie recipe-can you believe that!

Donna-FFW said...

The pizza looks wonderful. So tasty. Looking forward to your future entries from this group!!!

Alissa said...

Mmmm mmm mmm! This looks great and I love the changes you made to it...goat cheese can be too strong for me sometimes too, but I LuRvE feta baby! I'm going to have to make this for lunch soon! Thanks for the recipe!

Katy ~ said...

LOVE the idea of using a tortilla for a pizza base. Ingenious use! This pizza sounds so very very good. Well done and presented, good adaptation. Big YUM!!

NKP said...

I love a white pizza - looks tasty!

Joanne said...

I used to not be a fan of goat's cheese but it's grown on me. Your pizza looks fantastic! I need to get a copy of this cookbook...I've heard so many good things about it.

JG said...

Your Pizza looks so yummy! The Feta Cheese & Spinach are in my fridge.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Feta was a really good substitute. The saltiness brigs out the flavor of the spinach...great combo.

Don't be afraid of goat cheese. Try it when you're out sometime...ask for a taste or ven ask for a taste at the cheese counter.

Anonymous said...

Sans the onions, I am all over that pizza!

Wish me luck with my rye dough Reuben pizza - I am a bit nervous about it! :D

Happy Friday!!

Reeni said...

I didn't even realize it was a tortilla when I saw the picture. How delicious, quick and easy! I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Welcome to CEiMB. I have cooked such good food, since I joined. I didn't make it this week, for "technological" reasons.

Your looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the group! I think I will try this again with the spinach; I'm pretty sure I'll like that better.