Monday, April 26, 2010

German Apple Pancake


My husband and I balance each other out quite nicely when it comes to food. He likes sweet, I like savory. I like to cook, he likes to bake. I like dinner and party food, he likes breakfast. Actually, he LOVES breakfast. While I'm one to sprint out the door with not so much a granola bar in my hand (I'm not a breakfast fan, my stomach has a hard time with food in the morning), he'll wake up thirty minutes early every morning to make his waffles, eggs, bacon, or whatever other extravagant breakfast he can dream up. It's kind of cute actually, and I'm pretty sure the kids wake up early just because they know if they do, they're going to get a much better breakfast then if mom is making it!

So being the breakfast lover that he is, my husband really wanted to make a nice Easter breakfast. He found this recipe in my new America's Test Kitchen book, which I already love. If you are familiar with German pancakes, you already know that they are fluffy, and light with a fabulous unique flavor and texture. Add to that sweet chewy apples and it takes the German pancake to a whole new level. It was so delicious that even this non-breakfast eater went back for seconds. I highly recommend serving this with pure maple syrup, it's just better.

German Apple Pancake
America's Test Kitchen

Ingredients

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 pounds apples (3-4) quartered, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
confectioner's sugar

Directions

1. Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the oven to 500 degrees. Whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half and vanilla. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until no lumps remain.

2. Melt the butter in 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples, brown sugar and cinnamon and cook until the apples are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice.

3. Following the photos, quickly pour the batter around the edge of the skillet, then over the apples. Place the skillet in the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Bake until the pancake has risen above the edges of the skillet and is brown, about 18 minutes. Loosen the pancake edges from the hot skillet with a spatula and invert the pancake onto a large plate or serving platter (I never got a picture of our inverted pancake, dang it). Dust with confectioners sugar, and cut into wedges before serving.

26 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

That sounds so good! My German husband would love it.

That's so funny that ya'll are opposites. So are Ben and I. I like gobs of meat and sweets and things...he likes bread, and more bread, and cheese...

Heather S-G said...

Oh, this looks so great! Kind of like a dessert and a breakfast all rolled into one!

Holly said...

sounds so yummy:)

Pam said...

I am loving this recipe. I've only had German apple pancakes once and I loved it!

Jenn said...

This is great for anytime of the day eats. Yum!!! I'd love to have a piece of this right now.

Leslie said...

Your husband bakes???? Oh my I am sooo jealous!

Reeni said...

What a special treat for breakfast! Your hubby is a gem. I bet this was delicious!

theUngourmet said...

I wish my husband liked to bake...or cook...or even do dishes. :D

I haven't had German Pancakes in a million years. I love this recipe with the yummy apples on top!

Alissa said...

This sounds fantastic! You really did hit the jackpot with Glenn & all his sweet kitchen skills;)

Julie said...

Looks like he did great! Would be delicious any time of day.

chow and chatter said...

oh this looks great and you and your hubby sound like a perfect foodie match

Joanne said...

I'm more of a breakfast for dinner person than a breakfast for breakfast person. Who has time in the mornings for all of those shenanigans? This pancake does look seriously delicious and is going to have to make it onto my dinner plate one of these days.

Cathy said...

I'm not much of a breakfast eater, but this pancake would really tempt me. I would like a nice big slice for lunch today.

Erica said...

WOW this is an incredible looking breakfast! mmm cooked apples. Deliciousness!

I think a good relationship requires that kind of balance!

Kristin said...

Yum! I love german pancakes, and adding apples is genius!

Michelle said...

We have a local restaurant chain that specializes in German Apple Pancakes. After seeing yours, now I just might try my own.

Cute about your husband making a hearty breakfast every morning. I like just coffee, but J. has eggs, toast and bacon or ham every single morning.

Megan said...

I almost made something like this this over the weekend but I was going to serve the apples along the side. Looks delicious!

Debbie said...

That looks delicious. I have alwayw wanted to make a German pancake since I am also a big breakfast person!!!! My favorite meal of the day....

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

this looks wonderful... a terrific breakfast, so many tastes

well done hubby!

Anonymous said...

Teresa - you brought back great memories for me!! That was one of my Dad's signature dishes growing up and I haven't thought about it in years!

Thanks for sharing!

Lara said...

That looks like something we would love. Anything with apples is a hit in our house.

Rachel said...

That looks so tasty and beautiful! And man...I wish my hubby would wake up early to make breakfast! I think I've taught him how to fry an egg at least a dozen times...and still have to reteach him every time he attempts. Meh.

Kim said...

So cute that your husband made this for breakfast! I am a huge fan of all breakfast foods and would totally be on board with a piece of this:D

Barbara said...

It's kind of like a big popover with apples, isn't it? YUMMEE! My mother used to love these (she was German) and she sprinked confectioners sugar and squeezed a fresh lemon on hers.

Kristin said...

I made these this morning. Oh my goodness. I'm writing it up on my blog with a link to you. :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Your Hubs and I have similar tastes. I'm all about the sweet, baking, and breakfast! :)
~ingrid