Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Leftover Cranberry Sauce Muffins



Call me crazy, but among all of the star dishes of thanksgiving, I honestly think my very favorite is homemade cranberry sauce. I'll never go back to the canned version again, there's no comparison! But I don't just love to eat homemade cranberry sauce, it's fun to make. My favorite part is listening to the POP POP POP of the cranberries, I'm not going to lie, it makes me giggle like a five year old. But then after it's been made, it chills into a thickened tart treat that goes well with just about every meat and side of the meal.

Unfortunately I'm one of the only ones in my family that feels that way, which consequently leaves me with about a gallon of the stuff left when the holiday is over (you'd think halving the recipe would have dawned on me by now, but it hasn't). So you can imagine how thrilled I was when I saw these beauties on Maria's blog at Two Peas and Their Pod. This is not the first time I've made something from her blog, and it certainly won't be the last. She consistently posts the most delicious dishes and gorgeous pictures.

These muffins were a real family pleaser, I've already made two batches and will most likely be going for a third! My first batch are what you see in the pictures. My second batch I got a bit lazy and just threw the cranberry sauce right in the batter. It turned the them a delightful shade of pink and infused cranberry flavor in the whole muffin. Both were just delicious. If you have extra cranberry sauce on your hands, I highly recommend these. Thanks Maria!


Leftover Cranberry Sauce Muffins
By Two Peas and Their Pod

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup fresh cranberry orange sauce (about 2 tablespoons per muffin)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease well. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Rub in sugar and orange zest together. Whisk into dry ingredients.

3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk canola oil, egg, milk, and vanilla together.

5. Incorporate the wet ingredients into flour mixture. Add slowly and gently stir together. The batter will be thick.

6. Place half the batter at the bottom of six muffin cups. Spoon about two tablespoons of fresh cranberry sauce on top of the muffin batter. Top muffins evenly with remaining muffin batter. Sprinkle each muffin generously with turbinado sugar.

7. Bake muffins for 15-17 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and let cool on a cooling rack.

Makes 6 large muffins

19 comments:

Cathy said...

OMG, those muffins look delicious. I do have some sauce left over from turkey day so will be making these this afternoon. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Teresa.

Erica said...

Cranberry sauce is MY favorite part of the meal too! So delicious. I'm actually thinking of picking up a few more bags just to make some to have in the freezer. I saw this recipe on Maria's blog- she is so creative! Yours look delicious

The Blonde Duck said...

You've convinced me to make homemade cranberry sauce and the muffins.

Julie said...

This is a fabulous idea! I'd also like to whip up a batch of sauce just to make the muffins!

Mandi said...

Those muffins look fantastic! Makes me want to make more cranberry sauce just to have them!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I saw that recipe and bookmarked it in case I had extra sauce. I didn't as I used it up in something else but I'll keep this in mind for next year.
~ingrid

Liz said...

As much as I would love to use every ounce of my leftover cranberry sauce on turkey sandwiches these muffins sound great. I always have a ton leftover too since I am the only one that loves it!

theUngourmet said...

These look so pretty with the pop of cranberry color mixed in. I am crazy for muffins...as you know. Gotta try these!!

ann low said...

Love it! So yummy :)

Reeni said...

Homemade cranberry sauce is one of my favorites too! I was just sitting here trying to figure out what to do with mine. These are scrumptious!

Sophia Lee said...

This year's cranberry sauce was stewed in wine. I loved it, but unfortunately everyone else did too, so there was no leftovers! Maybe I'll just use fresh cranberries. :-)

Sook said...

What a great way to use up all the leftover cranberry sauce! You're smart! :) These muffins do look fab!

Kimberly Peterson said...

I love seeing all these recipes coming out of Thanksgiving leftovers!! Another great one, thanks for sharing :)

Emilie said...

yummiieee!! going to try this right now, thanks for sharing :D

xxx

lifeisroyalty.blogspot.com

Joanne said...

Cut down on the cranberry sauce! That's preposterous. I like to have it in the fridge to sneak spoonfuls for a midday snack. Now I'll have to make these and sneak THEM for a midday snack. Delicious!

Barbara said...

Nothing crazy about this, Teresa! They look fabulous! Can never have enough cranberry sauce!

Megan said...

I'm the only one that eats the cranberry sauce here too and I might have to make a batch for the little beauts!!!

Megan said...

I'm the only one that eats the cranberry sauce here too and I might have to make a batch for these little beauts!!!

raki said...

hemmmm yummy ...
great job

rakia09.student.ipb.ac.id