Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sausage, Tomato, and Arugula Fettuccine



This dish helped me to make a very important discovery.

I love arugula.

I don't know what it is about this leaf. It's got flavor that so unlike regular lettuce. It's sharp, slightly bitter, and fragrant. It's especially good in dishes like this, partially wilted, coating the whole meal in an earthy, green flavor. After I made this pasta, I had a bunch of arugula left, which lasted for about a day because I was looking for any excuse to eat it. I do believe that arugula will be a permanent staple in our house.

This was a DELICIOUS pasta. It's pretty much ready as soon as that pasta is cooked, and the flavors are incredible. My whole family loved it, and even the leftovers disappeared quickly, always a good sign!

Sausage, Arugula and Tomato Fettuccine
Cooking Light December 2010

Ingredients

1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated fettuccine (I just used dried, I wasn't in THAT big a hurry)
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounces Italian turkey sausage
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups baby arugula leaves
2 ounces pecorino Romano cheese, shaved, mine was shredded

Directions

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2/3 cup cooking liquid.

2. While pasta cooks, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Break sausage into bite-sized pieces and add to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently to crumble. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper; cover and cook 2 minutes. Mash tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon to break them up. Cover pan; reduce heat to low, and cook 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add pasta, reserved 2/3 cup cooking liquid, and arugula; toss well. Sprinkle with pecorino Romano.


Per 1 1/3 cup
: CALORIES 356 ; FAT 13g (sat 4.2g,mono 4.2g,poly 2.4g); CHOLESTEROL 92mg; CALCIUM 168mg; CARBOHYDRATE 39.3g; SODIUM 706mg; PROTEIN 19.8g; FIBER 3.9g; IRON 3mg

30 comments:

Deborah said...

I'm sad to say that I don't totally love arugula. I like it ok, but it sounds fabulous in this dish!

Holly said...

I have tried arugula-didn't like it but I would definitely try it in a dish like this one! Never thought to try it slightly wilted-good idea:)

Lara said...

I'm trying this ASAP!

Joanne said...

After eating arugula for so long, I just can't go back to lettuce or spinach for salads...they just taste so bland! What a delicious pasta dish! Love how quick and easy it is.

Unknown said...

I was looking for a nice meal for dinner tonight, this has few ingredients but the taste is no doubt great.

Pam said...

I am loving this one... arugula has such a nice bite to it.

Debbie said...

Love pasta dishes. This looks like a delicious one and I am going to have to try arugula one of these days already!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely meal. I love arugular and would enjoy the bite it adds to the pasta. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

MaryMoh said...

Arugula. It's new to me. Wonder how it looks like before cooking. Would love to try. Your pasta dish looks very delicious. There will be no left over in my house if I cook this :) Thanks very much for sharing. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

Kim said...

I love arugula too! I feel like it has a lot of flavor and it seems a little spicy or something to me, which is why I like it so much. Wish I could find it a little easier in the stores though.

This looks like one of those yummy meals that you remember and make over and over again. Love it!

Sue said...

This looks so fresh and delicious!

Kaitlin said...

That looks fresh & delicious!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I don't really like arugula but this looks like a delicious dish..

Reeni said...

I love arugula too! Especially used like this - super comforting, so creamy and just plain delicious!

theUngourmet said...

I discovered arugula not too long ago and I just love it too! I've never tried it in a warm dish. I'll have to give it a try. :) Great recipe!

chow and chatter said...

this looks great and a great way to use it yum

Shelby said...

I Love arugula! The first time I tried it was in a Cooking Light recipe too! Looks delish!

kellypea said...

YUM! I'm with you and love arugula. This is a great combo. We usually have it wilted with canellini beans and Italian sausage, but also make lots of salads with it. If you can find the wild variety, it will grow all year in a small herb box :)

Anonymous said...

Sadly, my husband will only eat iceburg lettuce as a green - I'll have to make this dish for my lunch one of these days!

The Blonde Duck said...

I haven't had fetticini in way too long!

Barbara Bakes said...

I haven't had arugula with pasta. It looks like a fabulous, fresh tasting meal!

Kimberly Peterson said...

Wowww I love the colors in this dish.. and can never go wrong with pasta!! Great job looks delicious!!

Cathy said...

What a lovely, flavor packed pasta dish! Arugula is one of my favorite greens and would add great flavor to this dish.

Velva said...

Love arugula too. Like blue cheese, it's a grown-up flavor. Your pasta dish no doubt is fabulous. I just need a glass of wine.

Velva

Barbara said...

Beautiful fettuccine, Teresa! I agree about arugula..puts other lettuce in the shade. Great idea to mix it in your pasta dish.

Leslie said...

I am learning to love arugula too. Its a bit bitter. But this looks like an amazing dinner!

Val said...

I need this, STAT

MaryBeth said...

This is a very healthy looking dinner, looks wonderful.

Lara said...

Made it, loved it, and blogged about it. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

em said...

You know those commenters who are all, "I LOVED this recipe! I followed it exactly...except I changed this and this and that"? Well, today I'm one of them but have every intention of doing it exactly your way next time when I have all those ingredients on hand. :)

I only had spinach and hot Italian sausage, so I think the flavor ended up being totally different than intended, but the fam still loved it. And I love arugula, so next time, I'm expecting a big winner again! Two ways to make the same dish, right?