Saturday, September 3, 2011

Fish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema



If you ever go to Mission Beach in San Diego, there is a little Restaurant on the boardwalk called Roberto's. There you will find some of the freshest and best fish tacos you've ever sunk your teeth into. It's a highlight when we vacation there, and I definitely get my fill! Since then, it's been really hard to find a fish taco that I've liked as much as those, but these are definitely close! They're also quite a bit lighter.

What I like most about these tacos, besides the fact that they're crazy delicious, is how easy they are to make. The ingredients are all very accessible, most you will already have in your fridge or pantry, and if you don't want to fire up the grill, then you can roast the fish in the oven. I like to eat these while imagining that I'm sitting on the beach!

Fish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema
From Cooking Light December 2006

Ingredients
Crema:
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced

Tacos:
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 pounds red snapper fillets
Cooking spray
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cabbage (or use a bagged coleslaw mix)

Directions

Preheat oven to 425°.

To prepare crema, combine the first 8 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

To prepare tacos, combine cumin and next 5 ingredients (through garlic powder) in a small bowl; sprinkle spice mixture evenly over both sides of fish (don't be shy with it, get it good and coated). Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 9 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Place fish in a bowl; break into pieces with a fork. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; top each with 1/4 cup cabbage and 1 tablespoon crema.



30 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

Teresa I love tacos and these look delicious!

Erica said...

San diego has amazing mexican period! Your fish tacos look delicious-love the toppings

Libby@CookingWithLibby said...

These look yummy! Even better that it's from Cooking Light :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

that looks amazing!

Cathy said...

One of my favorite meals, Teresa, and your recipe for crema looks so tasty. I much prefer baking the fish rather than frying it and red snapper is what we like too.

Brownieville Girl said...

Healthy and delicious - thank you so much for this reciope Teresa.

Chris said...

I don't care so much for fish but LOVE that crema topping!

Mary Bergfeld said...

That is one gorgeous plate of food. The tacos are out of this world and beg to be tried. I especially love the crema. It really sounds delicious. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Deborah said...

Oh my goodness - those are making me hungry!!

Barbara said...

Fish tacos are not the only way I'll use this cilantro lime crema, Teresa. What a super recipe!

Heather S-G said...

I loooooooove fish tacos! These look fabulous and that crema- drool!

Velva said...

These do look crazy delicious. A definite keeper.

Velva

Julie said...

This is making me want to jump in the car and drive to San Diego. I could have these for breakfast...ha!

Anonymous said...

The only thing about fish tacos is that I don't really like fishy fish - crazy, I know - never had red snapper - is it fishy??

Pam said...

I love fish tacos - these look and sound AMAZING!

Kim said...

I love fish tacos, but sadly my husband does not. Wish I could come on over and share some of yours!

Kathleen said...

Wow! These look really delicious! I've never made fish tacos with red snapper. Great idea!

Val said...

Fish Tacos are the best!!

Joanne said...

i always swoon over fish tacos when I see them but I've never actually made them! How bad of me. These, with the cilantro lime crema, look especially delicious!

Natalie said...

oh I love fish tacos! The best ones I ever had were in San Diego!

Becki's Whole Life said...

I'm always looking for a good fish taco recipe and I have to say - the Cilantro Lime Crema is what really got me here - yum!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Fish tacos are my favorite meal every Friday!

Art Epicurean said...

Yum yum and sooooo beautiful on the plate.

sara cardon said...

Mmmmmm. Love fish tacos. I think he was featured on Throwdown with Bobby Flay in fact. The cilantro lime crema sounds to die for!

Shelby said...

Oh my goodness Teresa, these look so good to me. I love fish tacos...when can I come to dinner?

Leslie said...

I have yet to have a fish taco. Its a shame really :(

Judy said...

I love fish tacos, and Ocean Beach, San Diego is where I fell in love with them. I came home and cloned them. Mine are similar but yet a bit different than yours.

Anonymous said...

I should so make this for my friend. She's been dying to eat some good fish tacos.

Michelle Loubser said...

Tacos and fish combo that i like!

Culinary Collage said...

I LOVE fish tacos! These look fantastic......yum!