Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Blue Cheese Polenta with Vegetables



Wow, you guys brought tears to my eyes with your sweet comments and words of support. We really do belong to a wonderful community don't we. Thank you so much for that, it's helped to motivate me all the more.

There is now a blog that you can go to for updates on our progress and any fitness tips and experiences we are having along the way. It's written by Aubrey, her sister Christa and I. Both of these girls really know their stuff, so I feel so lucky to be on board with them. The blog is called She Sweats and She Tells. Check them out, say hello :)


This dish is not something I'm able to eat right now, but it's still so healthy and delicious. The more I've eaten polenta, the more I like it. There's almost something romantic about it. It's creamy, smooth, practically seductive, and the perfect canvas for so many toppings. This polenta is particularly wonderful because it's full of pungent, tangy blue cheese. Top that with bright, gorgeous veggies and you have yourself a plate that you might just want to eat by candlelight.


Blue Cheese Polenta with Vegetables
Cooking Light September 2011

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 (4-ounce) packages presliced exotic mushroom blend
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced sweet onion
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
3 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup quick-cooking polenta
3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add mushrooms and thyme; sauté for 4 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper; sauté for 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

2. Combine milk, 1/2 cup water, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in polenta; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese. Serve with vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley.

12 comments:

Erica said...

Yummm! Awesome dish! I always forget how yummy polenta is

Joanne said...

Mmm I love finding new healthy polenta recipes! A little bit of gorgonzola really goes a long way with flavor...especially when paired with such tasty veggies!

Chris said...

I really have to try more polenta recipes. Every time that I start to, I think, "That would work just as well with stone ground grits and I already have them on hand".

This looks deeeeelicious.

Judy said...

I love polenta,and this one looks great with all those yummy flavors.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never tried polenta.

garlutti said...

Hello .... I love to learn different recipes from around the world ... so I sign up to follow .. I invite you to share mine and my blog .. greetings from Vigo SPAIN Marimi

Cathy said...

This dish makes my mouth water, Teresa. I don't miss meat one bit when I have a flavor packed dish like this for dinner. Can't wait to try it.

Unknown said...

This looks great! I've never had polenta, I need to give it a try!

chow and chatter said...

looks so good love the addition of the blue cheese all the best for the weight loss so proud of u

Anonymous said...

I never even tried polenta until I met my Italian husband - love it - especially paired with blue cheese!

hope you are enjoying your weekend!

Anonymous said...

these are so nice i like this a lot. really it is too grade,

http:// Good food and drinks of our world
http:// Wonder of my World
http:// Physical therapy Blogspot
amazon.com/wonderworld20-20

amycaseycooks said...

I recently have been adding more polenta dishes to my menus. this looks like a great dish to try.