Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Greek Yogurt Blueberry Banana Bread

Feeding kids is tough!  My kids are not necessarily the pickiest eaters, but they LOVE sugary sweets, and I am constantly looking to replace their desire for a cookie with a carrot or an apple.  But I also don't want to constantly deprive them, they're still kids and I'd like for them to enjoy something tasty and sweet.

Which is why I'm always happy to find recipes like these.  Low in fat and processed sugar, but still a colorful, sweet treat.  I packed this in my kids' lunchboxes and they both loved it.  Talk about a win win!

Greek Yogurt and Blueberry Banana Bread
From No Sugar Sweet Life

Ingredients

1 1⁄2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
3 tablespoons Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 1⁄2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt ((optional))
1⁄2 cup Brown Sugar (or 1/4 cup agave nectar)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 Large ripe bananas 
2 Eggs
6 ounces Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt (or Blueberry)
1 cup Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Start by combining flour, baking powder, salt in a large mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl, mash bananas with a fork until they are gooey and liquid-like.
Add eggs, vanilla and brown sugar… mix thoroughly.
Add greek yogurt
Whisk until everything is well combined and there are no lumps.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.  At this point, fold in the blueberries.
Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and distribute evenly.
Put into the oven and bake for one hour, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Transfer to a cooling rack and (try to) let the bread cool for at least ten minutes before slicing.

12 comments:

Debbie said...

Looks delicious Teresa....kids are not the only ones looking for sweets! I'm constantly looking to satisfy my sweet tooth!

Joanne said...

I have a RAGING sweet tooth and need more healthy-ish treats like this in my life! Yum!

Angie's Recipes said...

This is so good that I can even enjoy it as the breakfast!

Anonymous said...

That is a win win!! It looks delicious. I am getting a CASE of Chobani in February - I'll try this!

Kim said...

Children and eating just don't mix well, do they? I'm constantly harping on my kids about their diet and eating issues. Drives me crazy!

This blueberry banana bread looks awesome. I love using greek yogurt when baking.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Look so good and moist! I love Greek yogurt.

Cathy said...

I love the combination of blueberries and bananas and the use of whole wheat flour in this yummy bread, Teresa. This is a treat I won't mind giving my grandkids.

JG said...

The aroma in your kitchen must be so inviting when baking this bread! Looks yummy.
~Judy

Reeni said...

This looks so moist and delicious! I have an uncontrollable sweet tooth and this would definitely satisfy it!

Velva said...

This is definitely a win-win. I have teenage son at home and anytime I can get him to do healthy and not fast., it is a good thing.

Velva

Barbara said...

Fabulous job, Teresa! You've got a wholesome and tasty banana bread recipe there! WW flour always makes the bread so nutty. Love it!

Heather S-G said...

Forget the kids, I want to eat a whole loaf by myself. ;P YUM, this sounds so delicious@