Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tortellini Chicken Soup

 IT'S SO COLD!

Like, cut you to the bone, punch you in the face cold.

I've actually caught myself having quick pep-talks with myself before stepping outside.  The other day my son told me that I can be brave before walking out of the grocery store.

Apparently the fear was all over my face.

Cold must be my kryptonite.


 But cold weather isn't all bad.  It gives full permission to wear oversized hoodies and sweatpants.  It's great weather to snuggle up to someone you love with a hot cup of tea and bowl of popcorn.  And let us not forget about comfort food, namely soups.

Soups really are healing aren't they.  They warm from the inside out.  And even though I'm more partial to thick chowder-style soups, when you have a broth this flavorful, it's hard to resist.  That with big pillowy tortellini to fill your belly makes for a great mood enhancer during these frigid cold days.

Tortellini Chicken Soup
By Favorite Family Dinners

Ingredients

Nonstick Cooking Spray
12 ounces skinless, boneles chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup slived leek or chopped onion
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, slightly crushed (optional, but it does add great flavor)
1 9-ounce package refrigerated tortellini or ravioli of your preference
1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves or shredded fresh spinach

Directions

1.  Lightly coat an unheated large saucepan with cooking spray.  Heat over medium high heat.  Add chicken; cook and stir for 3 minutes.  Carefully add broth, leek, ginger, and if desired, saffron.

2.  Bring to boiling.  Add tortellini or ravioli.  Return to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 9 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat.  Top individual servings with spinach.

Serves 4

Per Serving: 222 cal, 3 g fat, 21 carb, 3 g fiber, 29 g prot


16 comments:

Rebekah said...

Oh that looks wonderful - this is certainly the right weather for it! :)

Val said...

I make a version of this a lot. Its so warm and comforting. I heard how cold it is on the east coast from family. Keep warm!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love all soups made with tortellini. Yours sounds wonderful and perfect for a winter supper. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Pam said...

Yum! I really wish I had a big bowl of this for lunch today.

Chris said...

Fabulous! I've been on a soup kick this week, soup 4 out of 7 nights.

Lynn said...

Your soup looks yummy. And you mentioned popcorn in your post -- I keep thinking about making some popcorn and haven't yet done it. Do you have anything special you put on yours? Or just the tried and true butter?

Barbara Bakes said...

It's been a long time since I've made tortellini soup. Thanks for the delicious reminder.

Angie's Recipes said...

Snow has finally stopped, but it's still very cold..definitely a soup season! Your tortellini soup looks delish and warming.

Barbara said...

And it's going to get colder!
Love this comforting soup, Teresa. And great idea to add ginger and saffron.

Reeni said...

It is bitter cold here too! I need your delicious soup to warm me! I love soups with big, hearty pasta like this.

Heather S-G said...

Be brave! ha ha ha...so cute. This sounds awesome...brothy with goodies in every spoonful, that is MY kind of soup.

Joanne said...

I dread going out in the cold also!! But getting the ingredients for this broth sounds so worth it. I love how it's infused with so much flavor!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This sounds like an amazing way to beat the cold.

Jocelyn said...

Cold weather is my kryptonite too! I just can't stand it...but at least warm soup is a good thing to have on those days! THis one sounds awesome!!!

chow and chatter said...

this looks great and love your positive attitude about the cold weather hugs

Blond Duck said...

This is perfect for winter!