Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

 
Lately I've been craving summer and all that it entails.  Just the thought of getting a tiny burn on my cheeks and nose puts me in a good mood.  One huge summer activity in our family is getting the boat on the lake and spending the day skiing, swimming, or sometimes even just docking the boat and enjoying the beautiful day under a tree.

One of the most enjoyable parts of the day are the epic picnics that my mom packs.  This woman's ability to pack an amazing spread will go down in history.  Always so much food, always an abundance of paper and plastic ware and everything is always delicious!  

One item that I continuously request now are my mom's chicken salad sandwiches.  I didn't know how much I liked chicken salad until the day I tried hers.  What baffled me was how simple they were to make.  No secret ingredients, no complicated technique.  Just good fresh ingredients, light mayo and seasoned salt, that's it!  And it's amazing every time!

As a quick side note, I don't actually measure my ingredients when making stuff like this.  These are estimates.  But don't sweat it, do everything to your own personal taste, I don't think it's possible to screw this up.

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Ingredients

3 cups chopped cooked chicken (I use rotisserie)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1/4 cup chopped green or red onion
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
1/2 cup chopped apple (only do this if you plan to serve it immediately.  If not either omit, or add right before serving, otherwise it will make salad watery)
1/2-1 cup light mayo (add or subtract according to how creamy you'd like it.)
1 tablespoon Seasoned Salt (add or subtract to taste, I like mine fairly strong)
Pepper to taste

Directions

In a large bowl combine all ingredients except mayo, seasoned salt, and pepper.  In a small bowl, mix mayo, seasoned salt, and pepper and add to salad.  Toss to coat.  Serve either on a bed of lettuce, sandwich bread, or croissants that have been split lengthwise. 




12 comments:

Reeni said...

Cranberries and almonds are a must in my chicken and tuna salad! I love this! I'm craving summer foods too.

Debbie said...

Delicious! I always use a rotisserie chicken for chicken salad also. One of my favorite salads!

Barbara said...

Is there anything better? I usually add something like grapes to mine...but cranberries would hang in there better.

Pam said...

I love the different textures in this chicken salad. Now you have me craving summer & this sandwich!

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of mayo so I've always stayed away from chicken salad - my husbands Aunt always put sliced green grapes in hers!

Thanks for the virtual hugs for our dog Teresa, I really appreciate it!

Blond Duck said...

I've been craving chicken salad and I LOVE the addition of cranberries!

Joanne said...

I'm definitely missing fun summer salads lately. When is spring going to get here?!?

chow and chatter said...

wow looks so good and what a great way to spend a day can we come :-)

Angie's Recipes said...

This reminds me of summer picnic ;-) They must be very tasty!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Fabulous in their simplicity! I've bookmarked this recipe to use as it gets warmer here. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

This is one of my favorite uses ever for leftover smoked chicken. Hard to be chicken salad unless it is smoked chicken salad :)

Maddy said...

Its delicious and i replace chicken with leftover shrimp and it was way awesome.