Sunday, May 11, 2008

Rubs vs. Marinades

I've tried to get a lot more creative when cooking meat, especially so I don't get bored with it. Before it was just a little salt and pepper, and throw it on the Foreman grill! Now I'm trying different cooking styles, as well as different ways to season it. It seems when really trying to infuse good flavor into your meats, the most effective two ways are dry/wet rubs, and marinades. I tried a dry rub tonight which consisted mostly of paprika mixed with salt, brown sugar, cumin and other flavors. To be honest, I wasn't too impressed. I even let the chicken sit in it for a while before grilling. It just didn't add much to the chicken and we ended up slathering on the BBQ sauce anyway!

So far, in my opinion, if you want a juicy, high flavored piece of meat, marinading is the way to go. And it's really fun and easy to make your own using common cupboard items. Here's one of my favorites:

3/4 c. olive oil
1/2 c. soy sauce
2 TB Worchestershire sauce
1 TB dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 TB apple cider vinegar
1 tsp parsley
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 c. lemon juice
Mix it all up and pour over whatever meat you have. Keep in the fridge at most 24 hours. Best when grilled. ENJOY!

No comments: