Thursday, November 6, 2008

Black Bean and Corn Enchilada Egg Bake


What's this? My first breakfast recipe! I'm going to take this opportunity to come out of the, ahem, pantry, and admit that I am not a breakfast lover. On a few occasions nothing makes me happier the a Moons Over My Hammy at Denny's, but for the most part, I'd much rather have your regular, run of the mill, non-morning food. However, I do love eggs, and beans, and cheese, so I was pretty excited to make, and eat this recipe. Before you glance at it and decide to make it tomorrow however, know now that it needs to sit and soak for at least four hours. That gets me every time!


I will give you the recipe, and then I will include my changes afterward (my changes=always better!)


Ingredients

10 (6 in) corn tortillas
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (11 oz) can vacuum packed whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed nacho cheese soup
6 eggs
2 cups milk
1 tsp cumin
2 oz (half cup) shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 red bell pepper, if desired
3 sprigs fresh cilantro


Directions

1. Grease 13x9 inch baking dish. Arrange and overlap 6 tortillas on bottom of dish. Spoon beans and corn evenly over tortillas. Spoon cheese evenly over vegetables. Cut remaining tortillas into 1 inch strips; arrange over top.

2. In large bowl, combine eggs, milk and cumin, beat well, Pour over tortilla strips. Cover tightly, refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

3. Heat oven to 325 F. Uncover dish, sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 325 F for 55 to 60 minutes or until eggs are set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

4. To serve cut into squares. If desired top with sour cream, salsa, red peppers and cilantro


My Changes

I like the fiesta nacho cheese soup that Campbell's makes, it just has a lot more flavor. I also incorporate a can of spicy Rotelle in with the veggies to give it a great kick and color. And if you like a really fluffy egg, use the two cups of milk, but on accident I forgot the milk completely, and it was a bit denser, but also seemed a lot more packed with flavor. Perhaps you could meet in the middle and just put one cup of milk in! Anyway, have fun with this recipe, it's one that I love to play with!
4 pts per serving
Serving size: 1/12 of recipe
cal 190, 7g fat, 3g sat fat, 115mg chol, 420mg sod, 22g carb, 3g fiber, 5g sugar, 10g prot

No comments: