Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mexican Chicken Pizza with Spanish Rice

I went back and forth several times on whether or not I was going to post this. It was an invention designed after realizing that I had some thawed chicken in the fridge, no plan, and no ambition! There's really nothing new or exciting about it, but it was a definite hit and was gobbled down by every player in the family. The biggest reason I wanted to post though it because the rice, which was also a mix of ingredients that I basically closed my eyes and threw together, turned out DELICIOUS. I love it when that happens!

For the chicken pizzas, top a flour or corn tortilla with refried, or smashed black beans, chicken that has been sauteed in favorite Mexican flavors, sliced olives and mozzarella cheese. Bake at 375 until crispy and brown. Top with rice, sour cream, cilantro, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, guacamole, or whatever your wee fancy heart desires.

Spanish Rice

Ingredients

1 cup white rice
1 1/2 cup water
1 medium sized can diced tomatoes
1 small can green chiles
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tablespoon chili powder

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for twenty minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is fluffy.

7 comments:

Sara said...

This looks really delicious, and unique too! I love spanish rice.

Maria said...

Great twist on the classic pizza!

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me! Great job! It's always great when you throw something together like that and it turns out AND everyone likes it!

Clementina said...

I've been known to have long conversations about food, but Mexican food is the one that sends me into delicious flights of fancy. Please check out my blog and find out how!

Shelby said...

Thanks for leaving the comment! I'll be back later to check your blog out more. I love pasta & cheese too! :o)

Jamie said...

This actually sounds super yummy! Wow!

Angela said...

Definitely have to try this one! Yum.