Saturday, March 28, 2009

Chicken with Mushrooms and Green Onions


The thing about trying to eat healthy is that you tend to eat a lot of the same things, like chicken. And let's be honest, a boneless, skinless chicken breast can get boring FAST if you don't have good ways to prepare it. I was really happy with this recipe. It was like chicken Parmesan, with a twist (and minus the Parmesan!). I think the best part about it (besides the Italian breading) is that the base of the sauce is made with tomato paste, which is such a concentrated and rich flavor. I love it. I'm going to post the recipe as I found it, but I will tell you that when I make this again, I will probably cut the chicken broth down to one cup instead of two. It was still very good, but I would have liked the sauce to be a bit thicker, and I didn't have the time to let it reduce like I wanted. Definitely try this one though, it's very yummy.


Chicken with Mushrooms and Green Onions


Found in Weight Watchers 20 Minute Recipes magazine

Ingredients

2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
4 teaspoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 8 ounce package mushrooms, sliced
4 green onions, thinly sliced

Directions

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, and stir with a whisk. Set aside.

2. Sprinkle chicken evenly with breadcrumbs. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Add mushrooms and broth mixture; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 7 to 8 minutes until chicken is done. Sprinkle with green onions.

Serves 4: one serving is one chicken breast and 1/3 cup mushroom sauce

Per Serving: 260 cal, 4.9g fat, 44.1g prot, 9.2g carb, 2.2g fiber, 99mg chol, 2.6mg iron

Points per Serving: 5

14 comments:

Heidi said...

This chicken looks great! Nice blog :)

Donna-FFW said...

Teresa- This chicken sounds fantastic, I do love tomato sauce and would love to taste it with the concentrated tomato paste sauce.. Nice choice, you always cook so healthy.

Kristen said...

Looks good, as you say it's always nice to have a new way to do chicken :o)

Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for good chicken recipes, so thanks for this!

Elizabeth said...

I love mushrooms! This sounds and looks amazing!

Coleens Recipes said...

I am ALWAYS looking for new ways to fix chicken. Thanks for posting this!

Rebekah said...

i haven't made dinner yet and this is seriously calling my name!!! Yummy!!!!!

MaryBeth said...

This is my husband's kind of dinner...he loves the looks and the sound if this dinner and will be over the next time you are having it!!

MaryBeth said...

This is my husband's kind of dinner...he loves the looks and the sound if this dinner and will be over the next time you are having it!!

teresa said...

Excellent, we're always up for dinner guests! :-)

Jamie said...

Don't we all love food that is quick and easy AND delicious? And Weight Watchers to boot? Yummy!

Netts Nook said...

Teresa This Chicken looks so tender I bet your kids love it.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The chicken looks and sounds fantastic! I love the colors, it looks like Spring to me!

Maria said...

Nice meal! My hubby would love this!