Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Gorganzola and Tomato Pizza


Hello everyone! I'm sorry to have been out for so long, the winter sicks have gotten the best of my family and I. Fortunately, I think we're on the mend!

Pizza is without a doubt one of my favorite foods, as I have mentioned in the past. I know it's so common to hear, but I'm convinced that if I had to eat pizza everyday for the rest of my life, I'd be one happy camper. The best thing about pizza too is that you could make pizza everyday and not have the same kind for a long time, it's so versatile, there's a million things you could do with it. I found this recipe in Cooking Light (where else) and was surprised to find it a hit among my whole family. I'm a HUGE Gorgonzola fan, but it's a strong flavor, and not exactly kid friendly. Luckily, the tomatoes, mozzarella and nutty crust also add much deliciousness which may keep those afraid of blue cheese around! I can't wait to make this pizza again!

Gorgonzola and Tomato Pizza

Found in Cooking Light August 2008 edition

Ingredients

1 package active dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water (100-110)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (I have no idea what this is, nor could I find it, the crust still turned out great)
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Cooking Spray
1 tablespoon cornmeal
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 pound tomatoes, sliced (recipe calls for "Mortgage Lifter" tomatoes, you could really use whatever you want, I used Camparini)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (I used dried, but fresh is always best!)
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Directions

1. Dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Add flours, wheat gluten, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; stir until a soft dough forms.

2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 3 minutes). Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85), free from drafts, 1 hour, or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough).

3. Preheat oven to 450.

4. Punch dough down. Roll dough into a 10x14-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover ad let rise in a warm place (85), free from drafts, 20 minutes.

5. Sprinkle cheeses evenly over dough. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer over cheese. Combine basil and remaining ingredients in a bowl; sprinkle mixture evenly over tomatoes.

6. Bake at 450 for 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cut pizza into 8 rectangles.

Serves 4: One serving is two rectangles

Per Serving: 261 calories, 9.2g fat, 16.3g prot, 29.5g carb, 4.5g fiber, 25mg chol, 680mg sod.

Points per serving: 5




I also get to pass on an award today! Donna, at My Tasty Treasures, was nice enough to give me this cool award. She posts the most delicious looking food and has a really fun blog that you should definitely check out! Thanks Donna! I will be passing this one to the following:

Lynette and Nett's Nook
Pam at For the Love of Cooking
Melissa at Schweet n Savory
Maria at Two Peas and Their Pod
Sara at Sara's Kitchen
Priscilla at Priscilla's Baking Adventures
Gianina at Gianina's Kitchen

These are all great blogs that I peek in on once a day and never disappoint! One of the funnest things about food blogging is keeping track of all the other food blogs. There are so many wonderful ideas out there!

Happy March everybody!

12 comments:

Maria said...

The pizza looks delicious! We love pizza nights! Thanks for passing on the award. Congrats to you!

Netts Nook said...

Teresa: Thanks for thinking of me Donna also gave me the reward. I shared it last week good minds think alike. Your pizza looks great glad you are back. Thanks again.

Pam said...

Now that's my kind of pizza! I love the flavors you use. Thank you very much for passing on the award to me. I appreciate it!

Unknown said...

Aww...thanks so much! The pizza looks delicious!!!

Gianina said...

Thanks so much for the reward! It's my first one! The pizza looks great! I'll definitely have to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

I wish I loved sliced tomatoes because this looks SO good! It's weird, while I love tomatoey things, even tomato soup, I just can't do sliced tomatoes - maybe its the seeds?

Donna-FFW said...

This pizza looks so delicious, teresa! I so love gorgonzola, I sprinkle it on my salads sometimes. I would so enjoy a HUGE slice of this right now.

Gina said...

I just found your blog and had to let you know that the pizza looks amazing!! I will be coming back to visit more and go back to view your earlier posts.

Sara said...

Thanks for the award, I really appreciate it! The pizza looks amazing too, I make pizza all the time and can't wait to try this.

jor said...

That looks so yummy!!!

MaryBeth said...

Your pizza looks oh so good, what a great looking picture of it also, the color is out of this world..Congrats on your award.

Jamie said...

Oh you know pizza is one of my favorites too! Homemade every Friday night! Yours looks simply divine! Love gorgonzola, too. It is very friendly to one of my kids (though he is 20). Love this recipe!