Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cheesy Broccoli-Cauliflower Casserole with Rye Crumb Topping



I'm not sure why, but I always feel really accomplished when I can serve an entire, satisfying meal without any meat. Don't get me wrong, I love my steak and chicken as much as the next carnivore, but I like to prove to myself that it's not imperative to a good meal.



I found this in my Cuisine at Home magazine, a magazine I've come to love. It's a casserole full of veggies, cheese, rice and the wonderful flavors of rye bread. It's a unique, but healthy and delicious casserole that will not leave you wishing for a burger. My husband isn't a huge fan of caraway, so I will probably leave it out next time, but I will make this again. It would work as a main dish, or a lovely side dish for guests or a potluck. I do love to see my family eat their veggies!



Cheese Broccoli-Cauliflower Casserole with Rye Crumb Topping
By Cuisine at Home December 2010

Ingredients

For The Casserole:
3 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups cooked white rice

For The Crumb Topping:
1 1/2 cups fresh seeded rye bread crumbs
2 TB unsalted butter, melted
salt and pepper

For The Sauce:
3 TB unsalted butter
2 TB minced shallots
1 TB caraway seeds
2 TB all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups milk
1 TB Dijon mustard
2/3 cups smoked Gouda
2/3 cup shredded Emmental (I used Cheddar) cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Blanch broccoli and cauliflower in a pot of boiling salted water, 3 minutes. Drain and immediately shock in ice water; set aside.

3. Combine crumbs with melted butter in a bowl until coated, then season with salt and pepper.

4. Melt 3 TB butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and caraway seeds; cook until seeds are toasted, 3 minutes.

5. Whisk in flour, coating shallots; cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk and Dijon, cooking until sauce slightly thickens, 8 minutes (do not boil). Add Gouda, stir until melted. Add Emmental or Cheddar; stir until melted. Add Emmental; stir until melted. Season sauce with salt and pepper.

6. Stir broccoli, cauliflower, and rice into sauce. Transfer mixture to a 2 quart baking dish.

7. Sprinkle crumb topping over casserole, and bake casserole until bubbly, about 35 minutes. Let casserole rest 10 minutes before serving.

Per Serving: 283 cal, 15g fat, 28g carb, 3g fiber

Serves 8


My kids got new aprons for Christmas. After several attempts, this is hilariously the best picture we could get.

23 comments:

Pam said...

This sounds so good! I am loving the rye crumb topping.

Erica said...

awwwwwwwwww your kiddos are so cute! That is an awesome picture :) I book marked this- looks amazing. Cheesy broccoli & cauliflower? Plus rice? I'm in!

Merut said...

How cute! You have two adorable little chefs in the kitchen. Cooking a hearty vegetarian meal is always rewarding (not to mention cheaper)!

Arlene Delloro said...

I would like this without the caraway seeds as well. A real comfort food.

Ann said...

I'm definitely a carnivore but I do feel good when I can serve a delicious meatless meal. Those apron wearing helpers are adorable, Teresa!

Heather S-G said...

I always feel that way, too. I'm saving this one, it sounds great! Such a cute shot of the kiddos...I always like candid ones that let their personalities shine through!

Liz said...

love cauliflower, love the aprons!

chow and chatter said...

wow this does look good and your kids are so cute

Ingrid_3Bs said...

AW, so cute! The casserole's not bad looking either. :)
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

Yum.... yum... and more yum.

♥peachkins♥ said...

broccoli and cheese go so well together.. You have such adorable kids!

Barbara said...

I could easily eat this for lunch or dinner, Teresa! It looks wonderful. Great topping...always the best part. :)

Love the red oven mitt on your son. Really an adorable photo of mother's kitchen helpers!

Mandi said...

OMG your little chefs are adorable! This casserole sounds like one my mom used to make growing up. I love this version! I will definitely have to book mark this!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love cauliflower and this recipe sounds delicious. Not as delicious as those two apron models, however :-). They really do look cute. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Rachel said...

What a great way to get those veggies!

ManPreet Kaur said...

nice dish dear... :DDDDDDDD smile

Keep Visiting Dear Friends....Thanx
Lyrics Mantra
Music Bol

The Blonde Duck said...

I would feel accomplished!

Anonymous said...

I want your daughters apron!!

I just got the February 2011 issue and made the chicken apple breakfast sausage - kept me full for hours - I posted my version of the recipe today.

Yum, yum, and yum. I love caraway seeds and rye and am definitely putting this on my to make list.

Hope you have a great weekend Teresa!

Natalie said...

okay they are WAY too cute, love it!!

Brownieville Girl said...

Your kids are so cute!!!

Lovely idea for a healthy meat free dinner.

Joanne said...

As you know, I'm a big meatless meal gal myself. This casserole sounds so deliciously cheesy!

The kids are adorable! Your daughter looks SO much like you!

Reeni said...

Your kids look cute in their aprons! And the casserole looks excellent! I love meatless meals too - it's a bonus when my family loves them as much as I.

Barbara Bakes said...

Your little ones are adorable! I'm loving Cuisine at Home magazine too. So nice to have a casserole that's healthy as well as delicious.